Wondering why people prefer to use earbuds over headphones? Well, there are many reasons why people make the decision to purchase earbuds instead of any other audio gadget, and you should know each of them if you want to buy any hearable device.
People prefer to use earbuds instead of headphones because they are cost effective, light in weight, provide great comfort, free them from wire tangling, and have lots of premium features.
Want complete info? Then continue reading.
According to Statista, more than 300 million units of hearable devices were sold last year alone. I surveyed the market and then realized that most people preferred to purchase earbuds over headphones.
In finding the answer to why people use earbuds instead of headphones, I came across some top reasons, which I am now discussing.
People also use earbuds instead of headphones because they are affordable. You can get a top-quality wireless earbud for less than 200$. AirPods Pro (2nd Gen) costs 129$ while the Third Generation AirPods price is 169$. Similarly, Sony WF-1000XM3 cost 179$. These earbuds are famous all over the world and provide the best value too.
In comparison, the prices of high-quality wireless headphones are above 300$. Some have prices in the thousands, like Sennheiser Orpheus HE-1, which costs 59,000$.
Millions of people go for earbuds every year because of their small size and lightweight. When you wear them, you will feel no burden or trouble on the ear because of how light they are.
Plus, you can put them in a small case, which can easily fit in your pocket. The small size has also made the earbuds portable. You can put the case in your pocket, bag, wallet, pouch, etc., and can travel to any place.
In comparison, you can’t fit headphones in your pocket or wallet. You will have to put them in your bag, where they also take up considerable space. That is why travelers and those people who have to go too far away often prefer to have earbuds instead of headphones.
Another reason people prefer earbuds over headphones is that they provide great comfort. When you buy one, it will come with different tip sizes so that you find the best fit. Furthermore, these tips are usually made with silicone. This material is super soft and won’t cause any skin problems. Silicone is also durable, so the ear tips will stay in the same shape for years.
In addition, top wireless earbuds have powerful Bluetooth technology (usually 4.0 or 5.0). This allows users to form a strong connection that won’t get distorted because of any interference. Plus, the Bluetooth range is also impressive- usually up to 45 feet. You can connect earbuds to any device and can walk away from it and still hear the audio.
You can’t do that with wired headphones or those that have poor Bluetooth technology.
In addition, there are Touch sensors included in the earbuds too. With just a tap, you can accept calls and then end them with another tap. Furthermore, tapping on the left earbud decreases the volume, and tapping on the right earbud increases it. There is also Mic support with which users can seamlessly have calls.
Each of these things provides comfort in life, which makes people buy earbuds.
Gym freaks and health-conscious people also prefer earbuds over headphones because they make the workout easy. Their small size and wireless structure do not cause any interruption when you run on treadmills or light weights.
Plus, the noise-canceling earbuds do not let any annoying background noise pass through your ears. So, if you wear them in the gym, you won’t have to listen to boring gym music. Just wear them, play your favorite music, and then pump up your adrenaline.
Related: Are Earbuds Better Then Earphones?
The last main reason why people go for earbuds instead of headphones is the top-notch features. Earbuds offer valuable features at a much better/more economical price than headphones. These make them cost-effective, which is why it becomes a no-brainer for people to use earbuds and not any other hearable.
The top features which people enjoy using earbuds are:
- Sound quality: Earbuds produce the best audio quality, which will make the listening time truly amazing. They are inserted in the front part of the ear canal (unlike headphones which are on the ear). Due to this, the sound produced by earbuds goes directly to the eardrums, which provides an incredible experience.
- Noise cancellation: Several wireless earbuds (like AirPods Pro) offer a noise-canceling feature that filters out unpleasant sounds near you.
- Long Battery life: Generally, you can use earbuds for six to eight hours straight. It is less than headphones, but still, eight hours is sufficient time. Furthermore, when the charging goes low, earbuds will only take 1-2 hours to charge up to 100%.
- App Support: Most Brands that manufacture earbuds have also launched Apps, which you can adjust the volume settings and sound quality. They are easy to use, and you can change the settings according to your liking with just a few taps.
- Voice Command Enabled: One more topmost feature of earbuds is that they support Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant. With them, you can give voice commands, and the system will carry them out easily straight away.
All-inclusive, people now use earbuds instead of headphones because they are light in weight, provide comfort, help with exercise, are cost-effective, and offer the best value features. These features are great sound quality, long battery life, noise cancellation, app support, voice commands, etc.
Headphones also offer some of these top features, but they are bulkier, more expensive, and provide a little less comfort than earbuds.
So, more and more people are purchasing earbuds rather than headphones.